Thursday 7 January 2010

15. Pink Hair Theorem!

Now I represent one of my social sciences theorem!


While commenting Sonja's post about harrestment in Turkey and how people mark you as 'something' very fast, I rememberd my observations about the quality of harrestment you get before and after having fancy coloured hair.


2 or 3 summers before, I dyed a little part of my hair in pink. And I was going to OSS lessons in Kadıköy, while I transport on feet, orally harrestments were increadbly annoying. As I'm blonde and young looking girl, they feel like I'm a very easy pray for them. Sometimes even they came and talked me in English as if I'm a tourist looking for help -and probably I know İstanbul better then all!- !?


But right after I dye my hair in pink, I realise a decrease in harresments. The boys who were finding a blonde little girl attractive, were not that much interested with a crazy haired teenager.


They still talked after me but they were not annoying me with their words a lot, I give it a chance that maybe they got scared of me or smth.


But this change made me understand that, you can mark yourself by doing 'anything' including doing nothing with your body or attitude as a woman. But men are still having an easier life by adapting into society with their unmarked apperarences.


That was my first experience as a social resercher. : ) Turkey is a great field for humanistic material! Isn't it?




ps.I found a visual example to make you understand how my hair looked those times. I didn' have my own photos so you have to imagine me instead of this funny expresioned woman. Good luck with that! (What a 'killing us softly look' on her face! : P )


3 comments:

  1. Dear Serra,

    İndeed this is "killing us softly" face.

    You explained clearly how the things work when we do different things on this post.

    There is tight line which public drew and when we try to get out from this line everybody is being anxious. They must understand that this line isn't a rope , which acrobats walk on it in circus. We won't fall when we stay beyond the boundaries.Contrarily this variation will bring the society : Charisma.

    I am sad about there isn't any photo of you, but i imagined you on my mind , waoww cool :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ayşe!

    By the way, I realise your A1Y0S1E title! Very creative! Love the hidden 101!

    For conculusion, God helps us all as a boundry walker (!).

    See you,
    Serra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turkey is indeed a fantastic laboratory for social research.

    I'm sure that pink hair looked awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete